|Link: Click here to access the full text of the offer|
“Job #: 2018-02-01
Job Title: Collections Assistant (Temp)
Opening Date/Time: Wed. 01/31/18 12:00 AM Central Time
Closing Date/Time: Mon. 04/02/18 11:59 PM Central Time
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Intern
Location: Museum, 406 S Pearl, New London, Wisconsin
Exam #: 2018-02-01
Summary of Job:
Under the supervision of the Museum Director, this position will assist with the Fossil Collection at NLPM. This temporary project includes using the records of the museum to confirm and verify the identification of the fossils, catalog and number the specimens, digitally photograph, organize and re-house the specimens. The collection consists of approximately 800 fossils.
*Please include a cover letter with reasons why you want to work at the New London Public Museum and what qualifications make you a good candidate.
Working Schedule: This is a 480 hour, paid position using grant money from the Friends of the New London Public Museum. Rate is $10.50 per hour. There are no benefits and the position is not eligible for WRS retirement benefit.
Hours may be worked within the regular museum work day; Monday through Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm. Start date negotiable.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Verify and Catalog Collection
- Match specimens with information in the museum records
- Using identification guides/keys, verify specimen and enter information into the museum’s computer cataloging system, PastPerfect, apply number to the specimen
- Digitally photograph specimen and attach image to the catalog records
Organize and re-house specimens:
- Organize and store specimens and update location records in PastPerfect
Give a presentation to the Friends of the New London Public Museum and complete a written report at the end of the project.
Miscellaneous duties as directed by Museum Director
Qualifications, Job Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Training and Experience:
Must be currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from, a college program with an emphasis on paleontology or related field. Some experience working with fossils required. Experience working with PastPerfect computer program, preferable.
Education, Experience, Licenses, Additional Info:
- Knowledge and interest in fossils
- Experience using identification guides/keys to identify specimens
- Ability to read and understand descriptions
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Ability to utilize personal personal computer
- Ability to work well with other staff members, volunteers and the general public
- Ability to be a self-starter and to work with little supervision
- Good organizational skills
- Intermittent sitting, standing, walking, bending, and stooping
- Lifting 50 lbs.; pushing, pulling 150 lbs.
- Intricate eye/hand coordination
- Precise manipulation of small or miniature objects
- Vision: near and far
- Speaking, hearing
- Work involves infrequent exposure to some unusual elements, such as dirt, dust, fumes, chemical residues, and unpleasant or unusual odors.
- Work performed in a museum environment.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.”
Source: click for source
Image Credit: New London Public Museum
Latest posts by Lurdes Fonseca (see all)
- Just out | Early Cambrian animal diapause embryos revealed by X-ray tomography @ Geology - February 25, 2018
- On the News | Brazil | Tartarugas se adaptaram à vida na água antes da extinção dos dinossauros, aponta estudo da USP @ Globo - February 25, 2018
- Call For Papers | Taphonomy | Interdisciplinary Conference on Death - February 25, 2018